Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done 3 oil changes on my 450, would like to change over to a synthetic, what kind is best? Also what weight?

·
Registered
53 Posts
YamaLube 20-50 SummerTime 10-40 The rest or the time!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can't tell you the chemical breakdown , but have been told that it has to do with the additives in it. You figure it's a diesel oil and what do diesels operate under. They are a high stress motor with the turbo adding boost which is like you putting a high compression piston in your bike. It adds a high heat load and puts alot of strain on the oil. Most oils will break down under these circumstances. Alot of these companies out here don't even make their own oil. I would be willing to bet that half of them get thier oil from the same company. So you will not see significant differances.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I would like to start useing this oil. Is there differant weights? What do I need to ask for when buying this oil? Will this void my waranty?

·
Registered
122 Posts
No it's perfectly fine and should not void any warranty. I believe it's 15w-40. It is shell rotella-t. You can get it in 2.5 gallon containers for like $25. I just got som eat tractor supply, and I think wal-mart and other places carry it. So not only is it effective it is really cheap. At that price I can change my oil every ride if I want.

·
Registered
11 Posts
QUOTE (Vance @ Sep 10 2008, 06:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=11761
I would like to start useing this oil. Is there differant weights? What do I need to ask for when buying this oil? Will this void my waranty?
it is 15w40. i was told that the harley davidson oil was pretty much the same as the rotella 15w40. they are air cooled engines, and they are subject to a lot of heat. i am going to start running it in mine on the next service, and has any one had any good or bad luck with the reuseable oil filters.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Perfectly fine.

I have never used one, but I would stick to just buying the stock oil filters. I have never heard of anyone that I know in the industry using them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts