Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
may be a dumb question but im just comming from carb'd bikes and know nothing about EFI bikes, tho i just bought my KFX, already ordered full motoworks pipe, and im looking around to find the best deal on an intake but every post i read seems to say even with like a slip on, they also use a PC3, why do you need one right away, wouldnt you need to start using one of those if you only got into big motor work> also are they hard to program/use?

I run MX, and ive seen other posts about the rear sproket going down to a 34, will this work well for MX or is this strictly a duner type mod?

·
Registered
75 Posts
The thing is just like jetting for a carbd bike. if you didnt get the power commander and use the right map you would be running EXTREMELY lean and end up blowing the motor. it slike getting a full exhaust and intake on a carbd bike and then not jetting it properly. it will pop and sputter like crazy and end up doing damage to the bike.

in a simple sentence. the EFI does NOT adjust itself.

·
Registered
14 Posts
You dont always have to put on a programmer or rejet a bike. It will all depend on where you are at and what mods you want to do. I had a kfx400 with a full yosh system and k&n filter with no jetting and a 40 tooth rear sprocket and it would kill a stock 450 everytime. As for an EFI programmer I still dont have and with a slip-on pipe I dont think that it is hurtting the motor. I think that its more of look what I have. Dont get me wrong, I know that the programmers work and all, but I think that in some places that they dont do anything at all

·
Registered
285 Posts
QUOTE (mdskfx @ May 4 2008, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8626
You dont always have to put on a programmer or rejet a bike. It will all depend on where you are at and what mods you want to do. I had a kfx400 with a full yosh system and k&n filter with no jetting and a 40 tooth rear sprocket and it would kill a stock 450 everytime. As for an EFI programmer I still dont have and with a slip-on pipe I dont think that it is hurtting the motor. I think that its more of look what I have. Dont get me wrong, I know that the programmers work and all, but I think that in some places that they dont do anything at all
it may not kill your motor not running it without, but put on a pc3 and u will notice a big difference............
but be my guest and keep your bike slow......u may only be getting half the power out of your slip on by not getting a programmer to go with it

·
Registered
109 Posts
the 34t sproket or a 15t up front helps the big traction problem the kfx has stock. So better tires and a 15t, or 34t and makes a big difference right off the bat.
And to add to k4f5x0r, fuel injection on quads are not like a car, the atvs do not have an O2 sensor to change the air/fuel ration when needed. The fuel injection can only adjust for air temp, and evevation. So if you are planning on geting an exhaust or an intake you are gonna need to get a pc3 or the equivalent. But in my opinion the PC3 is the best one out there, for what you can do with it and it is very easy to use.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I'm not sure there's been any hype, just good factual information around the PCIII..To all the above points, its very user friendly, has the best multiple programming ability (multiple throttle posotions) but its not necessary if you keep your bike stock..

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you are just running a slipon exhaust with no other mods and lid on. you wont need a programmer. YOur just making the quad sound louder. You got to get more air into the engine to increase power but if you do that, you'll need to increase the fuel also. The programmer does such thing.

Everbody like the PC3 because of the adjustablilty. You can adjust fuel at every 250 rpms. Ive seen the pc3 running at 259 plus shipping. I paid 315 from fuelAtv.

Larry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok well thats why i was asking, i didnt know. Ive already bought a full motoworks pipe (not installed), 18'' rear tires (not installed), buying an intake, 34 rear sprocket, possible KX cams, and now a programmer. I just never knew the programmer was necessary, i thought the fuel injection would adjust itself.
ATVing4christ, where did you see a PC3 for 259?
also what is the best deal on a full intake right now, what companies?
and final do you guys know where i can buy some KX cams?

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Extent Racing 21 @ May 5 2008, 02:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8643
ok well thats why i was asking, i didnt know. Ive already bought a full motoworks pipe (not installed), 18'' rear tires (not installed), buying an intake, 34 rear sprocket, possible KX cams, and now a programmer. I just never knew the programmer was necessary, i thought the fuel injection would adjust itself.
ATVing4christ, where did you see a PC3 for 259?
also what is the best deal on a full intake right now, what companies?
and final do you guys know where i can buy some KX cams?
Good questions! I've got the fuelatv intake..its awesome and very happy with it...some people have made there own but i don't have time for that...YOu can also ask fuel if he could give a better deal if you get the pc from him as well..I got mine from fuelmotousa and it was in the 260 neighborhood...As for cams, ive read the dirt bike cams work nicely, 'im waiting to have mine installed...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cant seem to find the 259 one.

Just some different ones, different prices.

http://absolutecycle.com/racesupply/index....FTOKEN=24574734
http://www.morepoweracing.com/zmoYzt264110...16-26894-27064/
http://www.hyperformanceparts.com/catalog/...roducts_id=3325
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Kawasaki-KF...76777QQtcZphoto Offer 259

You can also pm Fuel and see what kind of a deal he has now.

As for Intake, if your looking for something cheap and still give great HP increase, look at this thread.http://www.kfx450central.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=1852

As for brand new custom. Fuel Atv (products out) Or FCI (soon to come out). and finally BCS (products out) Other companies have them too. Just search on KFX450 sites. Just make sure whatever kit you use, make sure it comes with a new intake tube.

KX cams (Stock) Goto the dealer or Internet place that sells stock OEM parts

Larry

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
now for the KX cams, are both the intake and exhaust different or is it just the intake, or just the exhaust cam, no need to buy both if only one is different! also for PM'in fuel, is that his SN or is there more to it or what, im going to do that.

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Not sure about cams. Some have replace them already and they should know.

Find a post from fuel and click on his name. It goes to his profile page. Click on send personal message. He seems to answer them quicker that way than post a thread on his sponsor forum page

Larry

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have installed a set of kx cams from Hot Cams. I got the stage one, which is stage two for the quad. And from what i understood from hot cams they both are different, but don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (mdskfx @ May 4 2008, 10:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8626
Well, in my case, bone stock, my KFX would ping horribly when I was on the dunes, keeping the rev's up and introducing a lot of heat out at Glamis. That's a pretty darn good indication of a lean running machine. Just because you may not *hear* the detonation does not mean it's not happening. These bikes are way-lean stock and could use a PCIII even if there are no other mods. Introcuce a decent pipe and/or intake, and it's a foolish risk not to richen it up a bit.

I am very happy with my Fuel Intake (with Airbox), full DASA exhaust, and Trinity Stage IV programmer. My bike makes *sic* power. I am going to order a PCIII from Fuel, however, for peace of mind--I want to know that my fueling is optimized. But I'm ordering suspension at the same time... Just waiting on Fuels PM that the new A-Arms are in.

·
Registered
637 Posts
QUOTE (Rhino1 @ May 7 2008, 03:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=8723
Well, in my case, bone stock, my KFX would ping horribly when I was on the dunes, keeping the rev's up and introducing a lot of heat out at Glamis. That's a pretty darn good indication of a lean running machine. Just because you may not *hear* the detonation does not mean it's not happening. These bikes are way-lean stock and could use a PCIII even if there are no other mods. Introcuce a decent pipe and/or intake, and it's a foolish risk not to richen it up a bit.

I am very happy with my Fuel Intake (with Airbox), full DASA exhaust, and Trinity Stage IV programmer. My bike makes *sic* power. I am going to order a PCIII from Fuel, however, for peace of mind--I want to know that my fueling is optimized. But I'm ordering suspension at the same time... Just waiting on Fuels PM that the new A-Arms are in.
Very happy with Fuel's intake as well...are you AZ or CA based? I hook up with several large groups for the Glamis trips and a new addition is always welcome!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am kinda curious about this, I know with a carb'd bike you have to rejet when the temp changes or when you go to a different.

and with the EFI, since it doesnt have an 02, cant compansate for lots more air in/out, but it can compensate for elevation and air temp. so say you get a PCIII and tune the fuel to your setup. then when you go 5k feet down to ride the dunes, your PCIII is already tuned to how much air your bike sucks in at any given RPM, so is the PCIII like a piggyback so that the stock computer can still use the PCIII map and compensate from there for the new air temp/density?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just some quick thoughts on the PCIII from what I've experienced in the last week. I put one on my showroom bone stock quad and loaded it with the map for air lid on and spark arrestor in. Right away it had more gitty up at part throttle stuff. Rode around for a couple hours and hopped on my friend's bone stocker (bought them a week apart). His felt lazy compared to mine at part throttle and he noticed this too, also seemed like the header wasn't getting as hot as before either. Today I just put on an FMF Q4 slip on, changed the map and for the first time the front wheels decided they didn't like staying on the ground much. Me being a big guy, I was pretty impressed. Haven't had the chance to take it out for a proper ride yet though. Next on the list, an intake and a trip to Sand Mountain NV

·
Registered
109 Posts
Most fuel injected cars and trucks from the factory are set to run a little richer to be on the safe side, and i believe this is the same for fuel injected quads. So a pc3 makes your stock kfx run how it should and not to rich. Thats why you noticed a fairly large difference on a stock biike with a pc3. If you get a full exhaust you would have noticed more. A slip on really only makes the bike louder, not a whole lot of HP gain. If you really want to add power get a full exhaust and a new intake, and you will be amazed. The stock intake on the kfx is one of the most restrictive I have seen.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts