Kawasaki KFX450 Forum - KFX450Central banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me when and why they made some changes to the frame? The most obvious difference is when looking from either side that their was a round rubber plug in a hole just below the tank/seat junction on the early models and now the newest frame I see don't have the hole there at all. There are other chages such as more gussets ect. that would make the latter frame more desireable? I would really like to know before I purchase one. Any help is much appriciated!!

THANKS!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Different frame? The kfx 450 is still in its first year of manufacturing, nothing has been changed on the model. There all the same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (KFXrider1228 @ Jan 18 2008, 04:41 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5447
Different frame? The kfx 450 is still in its first year of manufacturing, nothing has been changed on the model. There all the same.
I'll try to post a couple of photos ......but believe me there are at least two different frames available as I have seen at a dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I submit the following evidence of at least one change to the frames....notice the holes with plugs in the early version and the lack of holes in the later version.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The plugs are probably just for drainage??? I have pulled the plug next to my foot peg a few times to drain water out from washing. Thats all there probably there for, no big deal.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was able to speak with a guy from Kawasaki USA and he did say that there was a new version that came out and that there is added bracing and gussets but thats all he would say. I have not been able to see both versions next to each other to do a full comparison. I got the feeling that Kawasaki was wanting to keep this low key so they wouldn't have people avoiding buying an earlier model over the updated one as there are still quite a few left to be sold.

·
Registered
14 Posts
QUOTE (FastGuy68 @ Jan 19 2008, 12:54 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5456
I was able to speak with a guy from Kawasaki USA and he did say that there was a new version that came out and that there is added bracing and gussets but thats all he would say. I have not been able to see both versions next to each other to do a full comparison. I got the feeling that Kawasaki was wanting to keep this low key so they wouldn't have people avoiding buying an earlier model over the updated one as there are still quite a few left to be sold.
I have seen on this forum as well as talking with other people when I go places to ride. Alot of people have had the same complaint after a "small or slow wreck" the frame bends at where the stem bolts to the frame.

I always thought the holes were from a molding process.

·
Registered
297 Posts
QUOTE (FastGuy68 @ Jan 18 2008, 10:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5456

Can you get some more pics of the frame at different views? If you can do that I can snap some of mine and try to get the same views so we can compare.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I need to know were they gusseted the frame differently. I just picked up two KFX's for racing and are pulling them down the the frames. Want to do it right, let me know asap. thanks
Pictures would be great!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday and they only had one kfx on the floor. Nothing looked different on theirs it had the casting hole on the frame. I will be checking out another dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
QUOTE (PIPO @ Jan 25 2008, 07:05 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5661
Did you take those pics yourself or you found them on the web? Photoshop?

I got the pics showing the hole from Kawasaki's web site and I got the other ones from a dealer thats selling it on ebay. I am certain they are not Photoshoped. There is definetley at least two versions of the KFX 450R frame available in the USA right now. I have seen both with my own eyes at two different dealers near me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I saw both the frames side by side today. The only difference I could find were the two holes in the cast part. I did'nt see any gusseting. I'm guessing that Kawasaki deemed the holes uneccesary and there are. What are they even there for. Can't be drainage cause there up so high?

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (BLU82 @ Jan 27 2008, 05:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5737
I saw both the frames side by side today. The only difference I could find were the two holes in the cast part. I did'nt see any gusseting. I'm guessing that Kawasaki deemed the holes uneccesary and there are. What are they even there for. Can't be drainage cause there up so high?

My new black/green KFX doesn't have the holes... I can't see any reason for them other than maybe a change in casting process/technique/vendor for that particular part?

·
Registered
60 Posts
QUOTE (FastGuy68 @ Jan 18 2008, 05:57 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=5452
I submit the following evidence of at least one change to the frames....notice the holes with plugs in the early version and the lack of holes in the later version.

Hey, if you look closer, you'll note that the motor mount at the head is different, and so is the shape of the front of that cast part where it is welded to the extruded tube of the frame....

·
Registered
297 Posts
those first pics are pre release photos. I believe that all kfx's have the same motor mounts. You can also notice in the first pics the the intake is white not black.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts